Gould Farm comprises:
• A therapeutic residential community (since 1913) for adults who are coping with mental illness.
• A 650 acre working farm located in western Massachusetts
• Continuum of care options in the Boston area
Conceptual Model and Philosophy:
• Gould Farm provides opportunities for its ‘guests’ to address individual treatment goals within the context of a respectful community environment.
• At Gould Farm, people coping with the symptoms of schizophrenia, schizo-affective or bipolar disorders, depression or related psychiatric conditions integrate work, personal relationships and self-care as manageable challenges.
• Recovery is a process of gaining inner strengths and skills to take greater responsibility for one’s own well-being.
Gould Farm’s Program:
• Strong clinical team supports including weekly individual counseling, dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) skills groups and medication management.
• Gould Farm work program caring for the farm animals, gardens and grounds, providing for all the common functions of the community, and managing Roadside, a classic New England café.
• An experienced residential team
• Recreational and community activities
After an average stay of between six and nine months, many guests move on in Gould Farm’s Continuum of Care to step-down programs in the Boston area. There, clients live in a group setting and receive therapeutic supports while returning to school or work. Long-term extended community arrangements are available when clients have built up adequate outside structures and have secured housing.